The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is spreading at an “exponential” rate, with more than 2,500 deaths recorded in the past three months, according to the United Nations’ senior Ebola coordinator.
Julien Harneis said Friday that half of the reported deaths occurred within the last 20 days, describing the outbreak as the largest in the DRC’s history and the fastest-spreading Ebola outbreak on record.
Speaking to reporters in Geneva from Bunia, the epicentre of the outbreak, Harneis said the epidemic was expanding rapidly across the country.
“The epidemic is spreading widely,” he said, warning that it now covers an area larger than France and is growing faster and wider than the ongoing response.
The DRC declared its 17th Ebola outbreak on May 15, although health officials believe the virus had already been circulating for several weeks.
The outbreak has affected parts of northern and eastern DRC, where limited state presence, weak health infrastructure and the activities of armed groups have complicated efforts to contain the disease.
Harneis called for increased staffing and resources to reach remote communities, particularly in eastern parts of the country.
He warned that a stronger response could slow transmission within months and eventually bring the outbreak under control.
However, he cautioned that without additional resources, the epidemic could become more deadly, spread further and potentially cross into neighbouring countries.
